English is the boy (D’s) second language and he hadn’t learnt to read or write in his first language despite attending school regularly.
When I first met his parents, they said they were not expecting him to learn to read or write, but just wanted me to work with him to help him gain some more self-confidence.
Obviously the seven years spent in school, not able to participate fully in lessons, had significantly damaged D’s self-confidence and self-esteem. He had various assessments which identified dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, verbal dyspraxia, attention deficit and anxiety.
- Build rapport through engaging with D on tasks he found enjoyable and felt he was good at – computer games.
- Explore D’s internal visual and auditory processes.
- Use the Jumpstarting Processes™ to enable D to get his mental imagery stable and under control, then learn how to picture letters and words in his mind’s eye.
- Build his sight vocabulary using the Jumpstarting Process™
- Use various physical exercises to improve co-ordination.
- After three sessions, D was able to read a simple text.
- Over the course of a few months, D was able to learn all the basic sounds and had a sight vocabulary of about 100 words. He is now on his way to becoming a reader!
- • D’s confidence has improved – he now knows that he has the missing skill for learning to read and write – the ability to ‘see’ words in his mind’s eye. He also realises that he is not ‘suffering’ from a disorder or deficiency – he just wasn’t able to learn in the way he was being taught.
“Paula, your method and your attitude towards D are amazing! We really needed a person with new ideas and strategies for D, and that sees him holistically. I do not know how to say thank youuuuu!!!”
I just wanted to thank you for the inspiring and eye-opening training sessions that you gave us. I came home and practised some visualisation on my 5 year- old girl who after about 5-10 mins was able to spell “eighteen” forwards and in reverse! I was blown away.
We are still reeling from the dramatic improvement in F’s spelling skills! We are so grateful to you for unblocking this learning gap. F is very happy and relieved to have an approach that works. She loved working with you and wants all her teachers to be like you! She has used the technique on her French and religious studies too.
K seems to have developed a new attitude towards spelling. She has switched from believing she is a girl who cannot spell to one that can.
The visualisation has been fab and we have particularly noticed the benefit when learning the weekly spellings – it has taken less than half the time and the heartache we used to go through in order to learn the spellings has been pretty much eradicated! I have been telling anyone who will listen how remarkable visualisation is!!
W got home that night and said to me, “Mummy I have never felt clever before, but now I know how to do it!”